Line By Line
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Line By Line

An interactive forum for the sharing of original works of literature (e.g. poems, novels, short stories, essays).

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rainfall (WaywithWords)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Pen&Paper
Wordsmith

Rainfall (WaywithWords) Empty
PostSubject: Rainfall (WaywithWords)   Rainfall (WaywithWords) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:40 am

I'm not a poet at heart, but I shall give some non-expert opinions on this haiku anyway.

I think the poem is kinda like opposite to its title. The title is Rainfall but your poem is about a lack of rain, which is contradictory. I don't think that's supposed to be. It isn't very long, so there aren't any other mistakes to point out. Nice try!
Back to top Go down
http://writersinstitute.boardeducation.net
DayDreamer
Student
DayDreamer

Location : Face-down flat on the floor with my leg caught in an interdimensional wormhole.

PostSubject: Re: Rainfall (WaywithWords)   Rainfall (WaywithWords) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:45 am

It's likely contradictory for a reason. If it was titled something that suggested it was about lack of rain, like 'Drought' for instance, we'd know what was coming and it wouldn't have much of a impact. By calling it 'Rainfall' and describing a lack of rain, it makes you stop and notice the contradiction, and thus the poem occupies more time in your active memory and makes a more lasting impression - which is particularly important for such a short piece.
Back to top Go down
Pen&Paper
Wordsmith

PostSubject: Re: Rainfall (WaywithWords)   Rainfall (WaywithWords) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:02 pm

Ooooh...that's a nice trick then, Way.
Back to top Go down
http://writersinstitute.boardeducation.net
WaywithWords
Admin
WaywithWords

PostSubject: Re: Rainfall (WaywithWords)   Rainfall (WaywithWords) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:24 pm

Actually I hadn't meant it to be intentionally contradictory, but that is a good way of looking at it. Often, our mistakes are what others find the most interesting. Thank you both for your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
https://linebyline.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rainfall (WaywithWords)   Rainfall (WaywithWords) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rainfall (WaywithWords)
Page 1 of 1